This small body of water sits across from the Halifax Fire Station on Plymouth Street. You may drive by it today and not even know it. When work was done on the Street to make improvements the pond became a safety factor. The state had a barrier fence installed, thus blocking our view of it.
Back in 1934 it was a rambling brook without a name. When federal aid money was available it was thought it would be a good site for a water hole where plenty of water might be procured in the time of fires.
A sum of $2,000 was received from government funds and 20 of the towns unemployed men were put to work enlarging and deepening the brook so that it covered over a quarter acre and the average depth was about five feet. The surrounding area was cleaned up and the pond stocked with fish. People would stopped there and have picnics in the shade.
This was during the depression and many young men joined the “Civilian Conservation Corps.” This organization helped pull the United States out of the Depression and gave Halifax a water hole for the town center.
The site was named after Carl and Bertha Otto who were two of the owners of the property. Mr. Otto was a professional musician and he took part in numerous town affairs and his wife Bertha taught piano lessons.
Respectfully submitted, Sue Basile