In 1876, Dr. Howland Holmes of Lexington, MA donated the sum of $100.00 to establish a library in the town. The Library could be found in a small room at the Halifax Town Hall. It contained about 3,000 volumes.
The library was open Saturdays only from November 1st to May 1st from 4:00 P.M. to 9 P.M. and May 1st to November 1st 6:30 P. M. to 9:00 P. M. This building was destroyed by a fire in 1907. All was lost except the thirty-five books that were out in circulation at the time.
In 1908, the Town appropriated $1,000 for a new library. One of Halifax’s five schoolhouses was given to the town to be used as the library. After moving and remodeling, the Holmes Public Library was once again open to the people of Halifax.