This historic treasure is the Memorial Building, located at 25 South Street. It has served as a meeting space for the Board of Selectmen and the Town Council. It was also the town library prior to the construction of the new library next door.
Near the pinnacle of this building is the date 1881, a wreath with a star inside and the words “A MEMORIAL”. Etched on marble tablets outside the front doors is the inscription “In Memory of” the names of 36 local soldiers and the dates 1861 and 1865.
The Memorial Building was dedicated in 1882 to fallen soldiers who fought in the Civil War.
Buzz Around Historical Archive
Image Credit: Wikicommons
Please follow and like us: