The barge was a large wagon pulled by a team of horses or one large horse. The wagon would usually have a roof and sides with steps mounted on the back. The boys and girls would climb the steps and walk along a narrow aisle to find a seat along the sides. Perhaps the best time to ride the barge was during the fall when it was cool and the trees were bright with colors. They would often ask to stop to run out and pick some colored leaves to bring to the teacher.
The pung pronounced “pun” was a sled type wagon used in the winter, usually pulled by one horse. Usually, the floor was spread with sweet-smelling hay and a few robes (heavy blankets) were available for the children to use. When it was really cold, some of the children would bring heated bricks or soapstone wrapped in newspapers to be placed at their feet once they got on the pung. When everyone was on and settled, they would all sit together with the blanket pulled up around their chins and the warm bricks or soapstone at their feet. If it were too cold, some children would get off and run alongside to warm up.
The barge was finally replaced by the combustion engine making transportation faster and more comfortable.
Respectfully submitted, Sue Basile
Please follow and like us:
Invited Artisans Customized Shop
BuzzAround.Info markets our page. You will have a drop- down shop on our menu, with your individualized URL.
$10/item, expires in 12 months with option to renew at no extra charge.
You provide image, description and pricing, we create post on website
* Customer purchases your item through BuzzAround.info
* BuzzAround.Info forwards order details to you.
You are responsible for order fulfillment, customer interaction and the condition of the product.
* 5% is retained by the BuzzAround.Info for processing.
* BuzzAround.Info issues payments on the 10th of each month for the previous month’s sales.
Fill out form to request an invitation. All items must be 100% guaranteed.
Thank you for becoming a vendor in BuzzAround’s BuyLocal Marketplace. We developed so that community organizations can fundraise and support small businesses at the same time.
BuzzAround.Info promotes your business, the Marketplace & enlists community organizations to participate.
* Customer purchases a gift certificate through BuzzAround.Info in increments of $20
* BuzzAround.Info issues gift certificate via email to purchaser.
* 15% of the sale is given to the charity chosen by the purchaser.
* 5% is retained by the BuzzAround.Info for banking and handling.
* BuzzAround.Info will pay each vendor 80% of gift certificate purchases through the Buy Local Marketplace at the completion of each month.
Customer redeems their gift certificate at your place of business.
Vendor agrees to honor the gift certificate at the full value printed.
Subscribe for your BuzzAround newsletter
Because we all need good news!
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.