In 1812, the town of Halifax mustered an entire military company to fight in the war against the British. This company, the oldest in the State, was chartered by John Hancock in 1792. It later served in the Civil War.
The Halifax company was one of the first organizations to respond to President Lincoln’s April 16, 1861 call to arms. Halifax suffered severely in the Civil War, losing twenty-four men out of ninety-six volunteers. The town’s population was only 739.
Halifax erected the first monument in Massachusetts to honor Civil War soldiers. Aroline Soule lead the drive to erect the monument, in part to honor her fallen son. Her son, Charles E. Soule, died in Newberne, North Caroline at the age of 18 years.
On a raised shield are the words: “Our Patriotic Soldiers.” On a bronze plate are the names of all the volunteer soldiers from the town, not only the twenty-four who died. There were no drafted men from Halifax, the quotas being filled as fast as a call came for more men.
The monument was dedicated in 1867 and can be found across from the Halifax Congregational Church on the corner of Plymouth Street and South Street.