2008 Population: 7,692
41° 59′ 28″ N, 70° 51′ 45″ W
Halifax, Massachusetts was first settled by Europeans, in 1669. It was officially separated from the town of Plympton and incorporated in 1734 and was named for Halifax, West Yorkshire, England.
17.3 square miles, Halifax is approximately 12 miles west of Plymouth, 13 miles southeast of Brockton, and 33 miles south-southeast of Boston. Halifax is governed by the open town meeting form of government, led by a board of selectmen and a town administrator.
At the State level, Halifax is represented in the Massachusetts House of Representatives as a part of the Sixth and Twelfth Plymouth Districts. Halifax is represented in the Massachusetts Senate as a part of the Second Plymouth & Bristol District, which includes Brockton, Hanover, Hanson, Whitman, and portions of East Bridgewater and Easton.
On the national level, Halifax a part of Massachusetts’s 4th congressional district for the House of Representatives. Massachusetts elects two Senators.
Halifax is served by Holmes Public Library, the Silver Lake Regional School District which includes Halifax Elementary School, Youth, and Recreation, Police, Fire Departments, Council on Aging at Pope’s Tavern
The Halifax BuzzAround e-Newsletter launched in December 2009.