Tag Archives: 1900

Whitman’s First Public Library

In 1879, a group of citizens in Whitman, then known as South Abington, lobbied to establish a free public library for the town. At Town Meeting that year, voters approved an appropriation of $500 to establish the library and appointed five citizens to spearhead the project. The First Library The first Whitman Public Library consisted of a room in the ...

Read More »

Standish Manor in Halifax

Standish Manor or “The Meadows,” consisted of a modernized farmhouse, with about 700 acres of land. On this land were three farmhouses with outbuildings for the farmers. The main structure was a square old-fashioned mansion. Considerable extensions had been added making an attractive home with twenty-five rooms, five tiled bathrooms, one servant’s bathroom and two toilet rooms, with all the ...

Read More »

The Trolley Connecting The Bridgewaters

The first electric trolley line in Brockton was the East Side Street Railway, which opened in November 1888, with great success. In 1896, a line ran from Brockton to West Bridgewater, Bridgewater and Taunton. The following year, the line ran to East Bridgewater. On July 4, 1897, amid a blaring band, cheering crowds and speeches from the company and town ...

Read More »

Bridgewater’s General Store

  The building to the left of the picture is Hooper and Clark, Bridgewater’s General Store. This store was opened in 1775, replacing a smaller one on the site and ran until the 1920’s. We recently came across some ledgers of the store and were amazed to see the record of items sold to patrons. They had supplies of everything from ...

Read More »