SEND US YOUR NEWS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Halifax, MA 2008 Population: 7,692
41° 59′ 28″ N, 70° 51′ 45″ W
Halifax Massachusetts was first settled by Europeans, in 1669. It was officially separated from the town of Plympton and incorporated in 1734, and was named for Halifax, West Yorkshire, England.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 17.3 square miles (44.9 km²), of which, 16.1 square miles (41.8 km²) of it is land and 1.2 square miles (3.1 km²) of it (6.81%) is water. Halifax is bordered by Hanson to the north, Pembroke to the northeast, Plympton to the southeast, Middleborough to the southwest, and Bridgewater and East Bridgewater to the west. Halifax is approximately twelve miles west of Plymouth, thirteen miles (19 km) southeast of Brockton, and thirty-three miles south-southeast of Boston in Plymouth County.
Halifax is governed by the open town meeting form of government, led by a board of selectmen and a town administrator.
At the State level, Halifax is represented in the Massachusetts House of Representatives as a part of the Sixth and Twelfth Plymouth Districts. The Sixth includes Hanson, Pembroke and portions of Duxbury. The Twelfth includes Kingston, Plympton and portions of Duxbury, Middleborough and Plymouth.
Halifax is represented in the Massachusetts Senate as a part of the Second Plymouth & Bristol district, which includes Brockton, Hanover, Hanson, Whitman and portions of East Bridgewater and Easton.
On the national level, Halifax a part of Massachusetts’s 4th congressional district for the House of Representatives. Massachusetts elects two Senators.
Halifax, MA Links: